Sherwin joined the SAIL group in October 2023 as a Research Assistant. He is also a UKRI-funded PhD student. We caught up with him to learn about his background and what he does in his spare time.

Where are you from, and what is your background?

I hail from India, from a state called Kerala, fondly known as ‘God’s own country’ due to its natural beauty and vivid greenery. I studied for my bachelor’s degree in computer science and engineering at the Federal Institute of Science and Technology. Subsequently, I started my career as a web application developer at SAP SE. Shortly after, I completed a master’s degree in software systems with a specialisation in data analytics from Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani.

Consequently, I became involved in ML projects within SAP and transitioned from a web application developer to an ML Engineer.

What influenced you to do a PhD, and what are your research interests?

My career path seems to be a bit different. I had been working in the business software industry for around eight years. During this period, I developed a passion for research. The present AI revolution, as we know it, has changed the focus towards adopting deep learning and neural networks into business technology solutions, including human resources management, e-commerce, and customer relationship management. However, there seems to be a reluctance in adopting AI in mission critical scenarios and this sparked my interest to dive deeper into making AI systems safer for humans. I aspire to improve human–machine collaboration for collective intelligence and aim to develop neuro-symbolic techniques that improve AI robustness.

What do you do in your spare time?

I am fond of restoring mechanical clocks, particularly the spring wound ones. Human civilisations began measuring time as early as 3500 BC! The notion of hours, minutes and seconds hasn’t changed much over the centuries, and it is always fascinating to see how a mechanical clock operates using the forces of nature. Back home, I have a few Wehrle spring wound clocks, including a 3-in-1 clock with hourly strike and a Seikosha pendulum wall clock with hourly strike. I also enjoy travelling and exploring new places. London is a lively city with lots of history and medieval and modern architecture. Here, there is always something new! Lately, I have developed an interest in boarding the famous double-decker buses and hopping around various places in London. On Sundays, you can find me at Church (Oh yes! I do believe in God and am happy to have a chat). Occasionally, I try to learn a few guitar chords, too (I am not great at it, though!)